Kursk Root Icon Miracles
Although it is impossible to document every miracle our All - Holy Mother has performed, below...you will find what is a small fraction of her miraculous work, both modern (from letters of thanks by faithful souls) and from her earthly life.
The Russian Icon "The Sign" is more than 700 years old and is believed to have performed many miracles. These pages are some of the stories that have been written about these Holy miracles.
In the 13th century, during the dreadful period of the Tartar invasion of Russia, the devastated province of Kursk was emptied of people and its principal city, Kursk, became a wilderness. Now, the residents of Rylsk, a smal town in Kursk region, which had been preserved from invasion, often journeyed to the site of Kursk to hunt wild beasts. One of the hunters, going along the bank of the river to Skal, which was not very far from ruined Kursk, noticed an Icon lying face down on the ground next to the root of a tree. The hunter picked it up and found that it was an Icon of the Sign, such as was enshrined and venerated in the city of Novgorod. At this time, the Icon's first miracle was worked, for no sooner had the hunter picked up the sacred image than there immediately gushed forth with great force an abundant spring of pure water. This took place on September 8th in the year 1295.
The hunter that found the icon and the spring water, constructed a small wooden chapel and placed the newly manifested image of the Mother of God therein. The residents of Rylsk began to visit the place of the manifestation of this holy object and the Icon was glorified by miracles all the more.
Prince Vasily Shemyaka of Rylsk ordered that the Icon be brought to Rylsk itself and this was done in a solemn manner, for the people of Rylsk went forth to meet the icon of the Mother of God; but Shemyaka himself declined to attend the festivities and for this reason was punished with blindness. The prince, however, repented and straightway received healing. Moved by this miracle, Shemyaka constructed a church in the city of Rylsk in honor of the Nativity of the All-Holy Theotokos, and there the miraculous Icon was enshrined on September 8th, the day of its manifestation, appointed as the annual feast date.
In 1385 the Kursk region was again swept by the Tatars. They tried to burn down the chapel and its Icon, but the wooden structure would not burn. The priest who lived by the chapel, Fr. Bogolep, explained to them that the reason for this miracle was the Icon itself. The incensed Tatars hacked the Icon in half and tossed the pieces in different directions, then burned the chapel. They took the priest prisoner and was forced to tend to Tatar flocks. Some time later he was ransomed by emissaries of the Muscovite Grand Duke people who were on their way to the Golden Horde, and he returned to the place where the chapel had stood. After a long search, while praying and fasting, he found both halves of the holy Icon, placed them side by side, and they grew together seamlessly, exhibiting only something "like dew".
Learning of this miracle, the residents of Rylsk gave glory to God and to His All-Pure Mother. Again they attempted to transfer the holy Icon to their city, but once more the miraculous image returned to its former place. A new chapel was then built on the original site of the Icon's appearance and here it remained for about 200 years.
The city of Kursk was revived in the year of 1597 at the command of Theodore Ivanovich of Moscow. This pious Tsar, who had heard of the miracles of the Icon, expressed his desire to behold it, and in Moscow, the Icon was greeted with great solemnity. The Tsaritsa Irene Theodorovna adorned the holy Icon with a precious riza. At the command of the Tsar, the Icon was set in a silver-gilt frame upon which were depicted the Lord and His Prophets holding scrolls in their hands. The icon was subsequently returned and, with the close cooperation of the Tsar, a Monastery was founded on the site of the chapel. A church, dedicated to the Life-Bearing Spring, was built above the original spring that had appeared when the icon was first revealed and the Monastery attached to it was called the Kursk Root Hermitage in honor of the manifestation of the icon at the root of the tree.
In the year of 1676 the holy Icon traveled to the Don River for blessing the Don Cossacks' troops. In 1684 Tsars Ivan and Peter Alekseevich sent a copy of this Icon with the order that it accompany Orthodox troops into battle. In 1687 the holy Icon was sent to the Great Army. In 1689 copies of the holy Icon were given to the armies in the Crimean campaign. In 1812 a copy of the holy Icon was sent to the General Kutuzov and the battling troops. Before this icon St. Seraphim of Sarov prayed and was healed.
On the night of 7-8 March, 1898, conspirator revolutionaries-atheists tried to blow up the Miracle-working Icon with a hellish bomb, but the Lord Jesus Christ glorified His Most-Pure Mother yet more, for despite the terrifying destruction in the Cathedral surrounding the Icon, it remained untouched.
On 12 April 1918, the holy Icon was stolen from the Znamensky Cathedral of the Monastery of The Sign in Kursk and stripped of its ornamentation, but on 2 of May it was found and returned to its place.
1993 marks 100 years since the official glorification/canonization of Saint Seraphim, the Wonderworker of Sarov. One of the most illustrious of all the Holy Elders of Orthodoxy, he is also widely known and venerated throughout the West. He was born as Prokhor Moshnin in 1759 in a merchant family in Kursk, he suffered a serious illness at the age of 10. He was alerted in a dream that he would soon be healed by the Mother of God, aa a procession with the Icon of the Kursk-Root Theotokos in the streets of the city took a "short-cut" due to bad weather and passed near his home. Proctor's mother ran out with the young boy to place him before the Icon. Prokhor was soon healed of his illness.
The Icon of Znamenie which means "The Sign," also known as the Icon of Kursk Root.
In 1612 the Icon miraculously saved Kursk from being captured by the Polish. The grateful inhabitants built the Monastery of Znamenie, into which the Icon was brought every year and stayed from the 12th of September until the Friday of the 9th week from Paskha. The rest of the time it remained at the Hermitage.
On March 7, 1898 the Icon remained unharmed during an attempt by revolutionaries to blow it up in the cathedral of the Znamensky monastery. After midnight a bomb placed under the Icon went off with a terrible noise. Everything around was torn apart and scattered. Only the Icon remained intact. During the revolution the Icon was also stolen in April of 1918, but was miraculously found in a well several months later. Finally the Icon was taken from Russia in 1920 by Bishop Theophan of Kursk and placed in Holy Trinity Church in Belgrade, Yugoslavia. This Holy Image rendered great assistance when Belgrade was bombarded during the Second World War. Bombs never fell on the houses visited by the Icon, although they destroyed the surrounding areas. Presently the Icon resides in the Cathedral in New York City, though from time to time it is taken to the different Churches of the Russian Orthodox Church Abroad for adoration. Every year numerous healings continue to flow from this Holy Icon.
Missionary Leaflet 13E
Copyright © 2001 - Holy Trinity Orthodox Mission 466 Foothill Blvd, Box 397, La Canada, Ca 91011 Editor: Bishop Alexander (Mileant)