Link to Home Page Korennaya (Kursk Root) Hermitage of the Birth of the Holy Theotokos

Kursk Monasteries

Kursk Region Monasteries

Temples are the monuments of history, architecture and spiritual culture. Russian saints such as Pheodosiy Pecherski, Seraphim Sarov, Iosaf of Belgorod prayed in them. The sound of church bells was heard all over the city. They used to call the cathedral bells “velvet”. Sergievo-Kazanski Cathedral is one of Rastrelli's masterpieces of architecture.

Znamensky Monastery

*
Erected in 1826 at the place of the temple of the miracle-working icon of Our Lady of Kursk. The name is firmly connected to the miracle-working icon of the Sign of Our Lady, which according to legend was found at the roots of a tree on the bank of River Tuskar. There is the one-domed Voskresenskaya Church. Services begin at 8-00 am and 6-00. In the center of the city you can see the huge silver dome of Znamensky Cathedral. The golden cross on its top looks as if it blesses the city. It is one of the largest in the country. In this cathedral the Korennaya icon was kept. Now it is the most sacred thing of the Russian Foreign Orthodox Church. The icon was found in 1295 at the roots of a tree on the bank of the Tuskar River. The Monastery Korennaya Pustyn was built in this place more than 400 years ago. Now this monastery with its wonderful springs is a place of pilgrimage for religious people.*Address: Kursk, Lunacharskogo St., 4 305000, g.Kursk, Red Square.

Sergievo-Kazansky Cathedral

Built in 1778 in memory of St. Sergiy of Radonezh and the icon of “Our Lady of Kazan”. One of the temple's side-chapels is dedicated to saint Seraphim Sarov, a native of Kursk. There is the building of the Kursk theological seminary and Sunday school for children situated in the cathedral yard. Guests to this Church will see a masterpiece of 18th century - the Sergievo-Kazansky Cathedral built in Rastrelli's times, an architectural monument of 19th century - the Znamensky Cathedral, being an example of Russian classicism and building of ex-nobiliary assembly. Services begin at 8-00 am and 6-00 pm. Address: Kursk, Gorkogo St., 27

Sviato-Troitsky Convent

There is no precise data about the date of the convent's foundation. In the scribes' documents it is mentioned in 1631. Closed in 1923, re-opened after a decision by the Saint Synod of All-Russia in 1994. Address: Kursk, Gorkogo St., 13

Sviato-Nikolaevskiy Monastery

First mentioned in written sources in 1505. There are three one-domed churches situated on its territory: Nikolaevskiy (built in 1753 by merchant Ivan Shelikhov, father of Russian seafarer Grigoriy Shelikhov), Vozdvizhenskiy (1733), Troitskiy (1747) and a bell tower. Services begin at 7-00 am and 5-00 pm. Address: Kursk region, city of Rylsk


Nizhne-Troitsky Temple

Built in 1734 at the place of the initial city of Kursk. There are iconography workshops of the Kursk theological seminary attached to the temple. Services begin at 7-00 am and 5-00 pm. Address: Kursk, Gaidara St. 30

Kursk Eparchial Administration

The Kursk-Belgorod eparchial administration was in the city of Belgorod till 1833. First it was headed by Metropolitan Feodosiy. Since 1984 the eparchy has been headed by the archbishop of Kursk and Rylsk Juvenaliy. Working hours: weekdays 9-00 am to 5-00 pm. Address: Kursk, Lenin Sq. 55, Tel. (0712) 56-48-63

Monastery of the Birth of Our Lady in Korennaya (Kursk Root) Hermitage

The monastery was opened at the decree of the Tsar Fiodor Ioannovich in 1597 and dedicated to the icon of the Sign of Our Lady of Kursk-Korennoy, which the tsar ordered returned from Moscow to the hermitage where it had been found in 1292 according to legend. Copies of the miracle-working icon were with the Russian army during military campaigns (the battle of Poltava, the battle of Borodino, the Crimean campaign). Religious processions has been performed here since 1618. A copy of the icon is transported from Znamensky cathedral in the city of Kursk on the 9th Friday after the Easter and is returned after September 12th. Address: Kursk region, Zolotuhinsky area, village of Svoboda, Sovietskaya St., 17

About Korennaya | Site Map | Privacy Policy | Contact Korennaya | Contact Webmaster | *©2004 - 2008 Korennaya Hermitage