Korennaya Fair - Long History
About 17 miles North of Kursk is were the Korennaya fair happens the day after (Sat.) the Kursk Root Icon Procession. It was formerly the greatest fair in South Russia, and still with an annual trade valued at X900,000. One hundred twenty five years after its inception, the Korennaya fair has been resurrected in the village of Svoboda (Kursk region). The fair is named after the monastery "Korennaya Pustyn," a Russian Orthodox Church holy site that is located in Svoboda.
The first reference about this Russian Fair is in the year of 1708.
Since,1824 the fair obtained status of being international, to which foreigners were permitted to send in their goods. The Korea Fair was started and under the jurisdiction of the Kursk Znamensky monastery until 1764.
On June of the 17th day of 1787 a hotel was built and Kursk was in charge of the Korennaya Fair. The building of the guest court of fair began in 1793 and continued up to 1812. The center of fair was area contained to 10 thousand people with the specially arranged place for the KURSK ROOT (Korennaya) the Wonder-working Icon of the "SIGN". From entire architectural ensemble of guest court was separated the building of the exchange, on tower of which fluttered Russian flag. The total area of fair composed 64. On it were located 649 tourist accommodations, 58 hotels, restaurants, hippodrome, the building of municipal duma, theatrical house, circus booths and many others. The guest court of fair in the radical who constructed the project was the well known architect Giacomo Karen's and it was one of the most beautiful in Russia.
The best time for Kursk Korennaya fair was in 1852-1853, when there were goods sold on 11.3 mil. rubles. The biggest quantity of pilgrims – 60,000 was in 1861. There had been several copies of the holly icon made in different times. They were exhibited in Znamensky temple and in Korennaya Pustyn during the original had been absent.
Fair Guest Quarters
From the recollections of the Russian poet about this Korennaya Fair: "after service we with a brother were released to inspect the fair. Certainly our attention was mainly drawn by the horse area that designated separate machine tools for the driving horses. Further after the herds on the durable posts with the cross-beams were the sets of bells, from the small to the very significant sizes. Since no one will begin to buy bells, without having become acquainted with its ringing, so the right to ring was granted to everyone. Therefore continuous ringing stood above the whole area, muffling out the entire remaining fair area.
The fair pavilion was in the center. Each evening there occurred a contests of the trotters, and sometimes also of the horses. To the following morning the names of winners became the general object of conversations.
Exceptions from deafening noise represented only rock numbers, which resembled the appearance and by the Moscow guest court. No, I will speak about the fish and grocery departments, in which rural masters bought annual reserves.
Then about red and haberdashery numbers one cannot fail to mention the Korennaya Fair. All passages in them covered daily I become fresher by grass, on which driving up in the numerous crews, from the morning to the evening strolled the dressed up ladies, between which continually flickered cavalry officers, predominantly hussars, in the complete form with the drawn sabers. In a word, this was the famous exhibition of brides, supported by balls in the nobility meeting. The fair calmed down toward the evening, and the passage of crews became more thinly "
Profile of Guest Quarters of the Korennaya Fair 1783
In 1878 Korennaya Fair was transferred into Kursk city. In connection with this urban self-guidance indicated the precise arrangement of the fair trade: over Red Square - textiles and haberdashery, over The geologies area - commercial-chemicals, grocery, iron, hardware and soap. In Barnysheva of bridge - fish and meal; over the theological area - colonial goods, forest, leather dressing, rope, bast mat, bristle, fur, stump, fat, it swelled, feather, wax, lambskin; after the Moscow gates - wooden and peasant goods; over the out-of-town area - tobacco, oil, tar; near the hippodrome - horse fair.
Its revolutions sharply decreased after the transfer of fair into Kursk, but it nevertheless continued to exist. Heavily were reflected in the matters of radical fair bad harvest, hunger and cholera 1892. In spite of these circumstances radical fair in 1894 preserved the first place among other urban and rural fairs of Kursk province.
Gradually the revolutions of fair were reduced and it finally became horse fair. In 1904 the fair still continued to bear the name Of Koreans. To this year in the Kursk province there were already 320 fairs. Gradually Kursk radical trading was dissolved in the mass of large and small fairs.
On the edict of empress Ekaterinas II, he signed on 17 June, 1787. A Kursk urban society approached the construction of rock guest court. Drafter was famous architect Giacomo Karen (Gvarengi). Building was constructed in 1793 -1812 yr.
The center of the guest court of fair was the area with the specially arranged place for the wonder-working icon of the sign Of boozier mother, which by cross motion on 9th Friday after Easter they brought into the radical of deserts. They served public prayer, and then with the large honors bore into the abode.
From entire architectural ensemble of guest court was separated the building of the exchange, on tower of which fluttered the Russian Flag. Fair blocks were located around the guest court. From the fair area to the main gates of the Korennaya Monastery. It was possible to pass along the streets, which were called Moscow and Nobiliary. The total area of fair composed 64 dessiatines. On it were located 649 Terry accommodations, 58 hotels, restaurants, hippodrome, urban thought, theatrical house, circus booths and much other. The guest court of fair in the radical was one of the beautiful in Russia.
See: Complete Web Page: http://www.korennaya.boom.ru/ ...in Russian Language Only..
2007 Kursk Korennaya Fair Schedule:
The holding of the 7th inter-universal distributive Kursk Koreans Fair-2007
June 8, 2007
8.30 - start of the Cross in honor of the Mother of God icon of the Sign "Kursk" The root of Znamenskoye Cathedral Branch (Kursk) in the root Desert (m Freedom Zolotuhinskogo area)
12.00 - 18.00-launch of the Kursk Koreans fairs, holding meetings and discussions of fairs
12.30-14.00-Board of Trustees meeting on integrated recovery male Christmas Monastery of Our Lady of the Desert "root (Palomnichesky Freedom Center m.)
15.00 - 18.00-gathering icon of Our Lady of the Sign "Mother" Kursk Root of the Church of Joakim and Anna. Governor A. N. Mihaylovym and guests, a brief prayer in the forecourt of the monastery of the Nativity of the Holy Virgin, pray for holy source
June 9, 2007
10.00 - 10.40 - Inauguration Kursk Koreans Fair-2007
10.40-18.00-work Kursk Koreans Fair (inspection exhibition displays, agricultural farmyards, machinery, horse fairs, retail sales of consumer goods)
11.00-18.00 - biznes-vstrechi negotiations
10.40 - 18.00-by Russian folk groups, soloists, folk groups
June 10, 2007
10.00 - 18.00 - Continuing Kursk Koreans fairs, the sale of goods in Kursk and Freedom Zolotuhinskogo area
12.00 - 13.00-winners of the awards ceremony Kursk Koreans Fair (Palomnichesky Freedom Center m.)
13.00 - 13.30-press media (Palomnichesky Freedom Center m.)
For additional information concerning participation in the fair events please contact the Administration of Kursk Region. The Contact person is Kseia G. Orlova, Phone # 4712 - 70 - 11 - 12