Link to Home Page Korennaya (Kursk Root) Hermitage of the Birth of the Holy Theotokos


Hermitage History


See: Historical Cultural Center


History of the Korennaya Monastery of the Nativity of the Mother of God and
The Wonderworking Icon "The Sign"



The Church on the site existed since 1295 while The Korennaya Monastery (Kursk Root Hermitage) was built later in 1597 by the Tsar Theodore Ivanovich of Moscow.
The Monastery was founded on the exact site of the first Church chapel (1295). The Hermitage Church was dedicated to the Life-Bearing Spring of the Mother of God and was built above the same Spring that had appeared when the Icon was first revealed. The Kursk Root Hermitage was named in honor of the revealing of the Icon "The Sign" at the root of the tree in 1295 AD.



Korennaya Hermitage Monastery View

See: Korennaya Hermitage 2010 &
See: 2009 Summer Report & 2008 Summer Report
See:
2006 Summer Report & 2006 Photo Album
See: Notes and Reflections of a Pilgrim (1993 letter)


 

 

Most all of the Hermitage buildings were neglected for 70+ years during the communist regiment. Many repairs still needed to be done. A large building located straight across from the Main Monastery court yard is a solid building but is waiting for funds. During the soviet control of the Korennaya Hermitage, they tried to cover the Kursk Root Spring by filling the whole area with a cement cap but the Holy Spring Water would always find a way to escape and continue its Holy Tradition since 1295. The communists also put guard dogs by the Holy Spring to keep all the people from using Spring Water and going to the monastery.

 

 

Main Church View from Bell Tower


For the complete history of both the Kursk Root Hermitage and the Kursk Root Icon, please visit the Kursk Root Icon Page.


 

 

Front Entry Gate with big rainbow above it

WWII Battle of Kursk

At the Battle of Kursk in 1943, Korennaya was an important head quarters of the Russian Army. There is a large WWII Memorial Museum located next to the Kursk Root Hermitage on the land that used to be part of the Monastery. It was used for the Russian Generals underground bunkers. The Battle of Kursk is history's largest tank battle. The German army was defeated and their strategic initiative was lost forever. Shortly thereafter, the German South Army Group surrendered at Stalingrad. These defeats resulted in an eventual German retreat from Russia which was then closely pursued by the Red Army. The Red Army moved into Germany and captured Berlin on May 9, 1945. The Russian Military suffered an estimated 13,600,000 deaths in expelling the German invaders.
See: Historical WWII Museum

About Korennaya | Site Map | Privacy Policy | Contact Korennaya | Contact Webmaster | *©2004 - 2010 Korennaya Hermitage